FRONT END DEVELOPER
Union Digital are looking for a Front End Web Developer to combine art of design with the art of programming and create beautiful, functional and fast web based sites and products that are genuinely useful for our clients and users.
Responsibilities will include translation of the UI/UX design wireframes to actual code that will produce visual elements of the application. You will work with the wireframes and designs coming from our digital strategy and digital design departments, and bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works. This is great opportunity for an ambitious Front End Developer to work in a highly creative environment in Scotland’s leading creative agency.
- Develop websites and other applications to create new user-facing features.
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs.
- Optimise application for maximum speed and scalability – you must develop with performance in mind at every stage of the process – we don’t build slow websites!
- Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders, including project management, digital strategy, design, and back-end development.
Skills and qualifications
Ideally degree qualified in a technical or mathematical discipline, you will have:
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML 5 and CSS 3 and working to industry standard best practices.
- You will have worked on either WordPress or Drupal based projects before – ideally both.
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS.
- Knowledge of PHP is a definite plus.
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools – we use Git.
- A basic understanding of SEO principles and ensuring that your work will adhere to them.
Ideally, you will have contributed original programming or material to Github or similar – show us some of the cool stuff you’ve done.
Personal skills and attributes
- Multi-tasking skills, with the ability to pay attention to detail.
- Must be goal and deployment oriented.
- Ability to keep on top of your to-do list and report progress back to project and account managers.
Your package will include:
- Attractive and competitive salary.
- PHI and Death in Service cover.
- Generous holiday allowance.
- IPA CPD training.
- Union Academy training and development.
- Opportunities for career progression within Union Group.
This is a great opportunity to work at one of Scotland’s most creative agencies (Agency of the Year 2015), with a range of varied clients. Also to work in an integrated environment where the agency deals with all aspects of the client’s marketing communications. The role sits within the Union Digital team in Edinburgh, which is part of the Union Group, employing 95 staff in Edinburgh and Leeds.
We especially welcome applications from female, minority, and other diverse applicants for these technical roles – diversity and inclusiveness is very important to us.
If your appetite has been whetted, contact email@example.com. Please send us a portfolio or list of your work with your covering letter and CV.