PHP BACK END DEVELOPER
Union Digital are looking for a Back End Web Developer responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users on our web projects. Your primary focus will be development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. You will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by your co-workers into the application, so a basic understanding of front-end technologies is therefore necessary as well.
Responsibilities will include translation of the full designs and wireframes to actual code that will produce the information architecture and structure of sites, and the implementation of all CMS and server side functionality, and web builds in Drupal and WordPress CMS.
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by a front-end developers with server side logic.
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Optimisation of the application for maximum speed and scalability.
- Implementation of security and data protection, including SSL certificates.
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs.
- Optimise web applications for maximum speed and scalability – you must develop with performance in mind at every stage of the process – we don’t build slow websites!
Skills & Qualifications
- Experience working with PHP content management systems including Drupal and WordPress.
- Experience developing a range of websites, from simple brochure sites to complex database driven dynamic sites.
- LAMP stack is key – Deep proficiency in a Linux/Unix environment, Apache, MySQL (and other flavours of SQL) and PHP are all critical for the role.
- Understanding accessibility and security compliance.
- User authentication and authorisation between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Management of hosting environments, including database administration and scaling an application to support load changes.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools – we use Git.
- A basic understanding of SEO principles and ensuring that your work will adhere to them.
- Proficiency with the configuration of server environments, particularly managed services (we use Rackspace) and AWS.
- Knowledge of configuring Atlassian products (especially Jira) is a plus.
- Ideally, a basic understanding of SEO principles and ensuring that the teams work will adhere to them.
- Ability to develop and execute comprehensive QA and testing strategies.
Ideally, you will have contributed original programming or material to GitHub or similar – show us some of the cool stuff you’ve done.
Personal skills and attributes
- Multi-tasking skills, with the ability to pay attention to detail.
- Must be goal and deployment oriented.
- Ability to keep on top of your to-do list and report progress back to project and account managers.
Your package will include:
- Attractive and competitive salary.
- PHI and Death in Service cover.
- Generous holiday allowance.
- IPA CPD training.
- Union Academy training and development.
- Opportunities for career progression within Union Group.
This is a great opportunity to work at one of Scotland’s most creative agencies (Agency of the Year 2015), with a range of varied clients. Also to work in an integrated environment where the agency deals with all aspects of the client’s marketing communications. The role sits within the Union Digital team in Edinburgh, which is part of the Union Group, employing 95 staff in Edinburgh and Leeds.
We especially welcome applications from female, minority, and other diverse applicants for these technical roles – diversity and inclusiveness is very important to us.
If your appetite has been whetted, contact email@example.com. Please send us a portfolio or list of your work with your covering letter and CV.